How to get motivated


Okay so the New Year buzz is starting to wear off and you had all the intentions of continuing your workouts/classes and healthy eating but it's starting to get a little samey and the motivation just needs that little kick up the bum again.

The problem with the 'New Year, New Me' hype is that often people will do this because others are too and it just has a bit of a buzz about it - but now that dry January has finished and there's money back in the bank (January was long huh!) it's easier to go out for a few drinks then spend your Friday night at the local gym (not that there's anything wrong that I might add).

So for those who want to get their motivation back, or for those who have it and don't want to lost it, I've put together a few tips to keep that motivation going all year round!




#1. Plan your workouts

One thing that can get us a little down is not knowing how to mix up our workouts or just feeling stuck in the same ones. I like to write mine out on a Sunday afternoon so I at least know when 'ab day' or 'leg day'  is - then work from that. I often use magazine's like Women's Health, bloggers like Carly Rowena and just generally Googling to come up with new moves. Remember to try and focus on certain muscle groups and get a healthy mix of strength and cardio in there.

#2. Meal plan

I know I say this a lot so I won't go on but I can't stress how important this is. I don't even mean slaving away all Sunday afternoon - for me it's as simple as writing out what I'm going to eat that week, doing the shopping and sticking to it. Knowing what you're going to eat and having the ingredients in the fridge is really going to stop you making last minute bad choices at the Co-op on the way home.

#3. Lay out your workout gear the night before

This is an important one. I get up for the gym at 5:30 and yes that's tough! Especially when the rain is pounding down outside and it's below 0 degrees. Having every laid out the night before makes it much easier to get out of that warm bed....extra tip, I leave it on the radiator near my bed so I'm literally going from one warm haven to another.


#4. Don't beat yourself up

Okay...it's a fact....we're human. This means that we're not perfect and never will be, so why worry about it? I am the worst when it comes to this, I get really upset if I don't beat a PB every week and if I only go to the gym 3 times instead of 5 I get quite agitated. But something I'm trying to learn more and more is that something is better than nothing and if I have a week off, it's really not the end of the world. Often getting down about what's already happened can really hit your motivation and get you into a bit of a rut. Try to break this habit by counting the little things 'I walked to to work today' or go for a walk in your lunch hour. Get that feeling of accomplishment back and it will make you feel re-energised in no time.

#5. New workout gear

This is a big one for me - if I buy new clothes I'm definitely one of those people who puts them on when they arrive and then walks around for the next few hours with the label sticking out. New workout gear always gets me more motivated and wanting to get back to the gym. I'm not advocating spending loads (it really doesn't have to be Sweaty Betty every time guys) but there are some great brands out there who do great gear for a minimal price - like these Ellesse pieces available at JD Sports.

What gets you motivated?


Shop the post



This post is in collaboration with JD Sports.

Thank you to David Lloyd Swindon for facilitating these photos.



3 comments

© ARABELLA

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig